Diary of a Summer Trip to the South Pole 2006/2007
For most of December and January I'll be working at the South Pole with the IceCube project. My main goal for this season will be to install computing infrastructure into a new Data Center which was completed early in the season. This is in a building which has been refitted for the use of the IceCube project. Installing the equipment includes installing all the support equipment such as racks, networking, and cabling, and configuring the computer for use by the software engineers. We will also be making significant changes to the AMANDA computing system so that it is integrated into the IceCube system. After this is complete we will decommission the temporary system we have been running on for the last 2 years.
- Week 1 December 3 2006 Hoping for Bad Weather
- Week 2 December 10 2006 Work Begins
- Week 3 December 17 2006 Where is the South Pole and What's it Like?
- Week 4 December 25 2006 Christmas
- Week 5 January 1 2007 The Necessity of Power
- Week 6 January 8 2007 The Home Stretch
- Week 7 January 14 2007 Living at the South Pole
- Week 8 January 21 2007 Finishing the Major Tasking