Diaries of Trips to the South Pole
I started working at South Pole in 99/00 when I Wintered Over for the AMANDA project. After the winter AMANDA kept me on to work on a new larger neutrino telescope called IceCube. I've been working for them on this since. I deploy to the South Pole each year for the summer, having given up winters. In the time I've worked at South Pole, things have changed dramatically, as can be seen by comparing my diary of 2000 with my latest season.
- 2007 Diary - The 2007/2008 summer. I was at South Pole for a short trip during the 2007/2008 summer from early November until mid-December.
- Part 1 and Part 2 of a story about traveling to the South Pole as part of the United States Antarctic Program (USAP). This is a very detailed account written to help people I work with who are going to the South Pole for the first time.
- 2006 Diary - The 2006/2007 summer. A busy season dominated by mving into the new IceCube Laboratory (ICL).
- 2004 Diary - The 2004/2005 summer was a long summer season. I decided to try and do a diary similar to my 2000 winter diary. Not sure how interesting they are, except week 5, which I'm pleased with. It was also the first year I used a digital camera and sent home a number of photos each week.
- 2000 Diary - A weekly email I sent home to family and friends during the 2000 winter. Sometimes nothing happens in Antarctica and it is difficult to keep these emails interesting. However this year had more than it's share of ups and downs.